Saturday, February 10, 2007

This is a sample of the work I'm doing now.

I wish that I was a bit free-er and more slapdash , as I used to be when I was pushed for time and just dashing things off. But perhaps this tightness is a phase too.

One of the results of not having much money to spend on materials is that I began painting in a small format. That meant I could use cheaper canvases and little dabs of paint. This oil is only 8 x 10, but I recently bought some much larger supports that are sitting on the shelf, beckoning. I think if I made myself work larger it would automatically loosen up my style and make me more spontaneous.
I don't seem to have trouble with my sketching style, which is quick and sometimes untidy, just the finished paintings.
It's hard to step out of the method you know and branch out, but I'm going to have a go. Soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alena said...

OOOOOOOOOOh, Mereth, your paintings are great!
You are so talented, my favourite is that one not finished to death :o), but all of them are gorgeous, I enjoy watching art and even more with comment of an author... Lovely to find here horses this time as I have discovered their beauty not long ago and I find out that I would like to learn to ride them - I am taking horse-back riding lessons now and I enjoy it so much...
I am happy for you to hear that you can treat yourself to some nice painting material - go for it and enjoy, I am looking forward to seing more of your work...
Have a wonderful weekend.

11:56 PM  
Blogger laserone_ said...

Oh man, I have SUCH a soft spot for horses. This is just gorgeous.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I have to ask do you paint horse or cat portraits?
I love your work. Would planning a 1 person show mean that you would be fully out of the closet? Ok I dream big but I also know that usually we are our harshest critics.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home