Monday, January 30, 2006








I love drawing and painting animals, but they never seem to sit still long enough! I use photos and sketches and colour studies to make a finished painting, and the results can be very detailed and time consuming.






















However I really love doing quick sketches from life, even if they're just rough scribbles. Sometimes I seem to capture a gesture or movement with more truth than I can achieve in a painting.


I do lots of these quick drawings, most do not have much merit because unless the subject is asleep they're always moving. Nevertheless, the real value comes from actually looking and studying , no photo can replace that first-hand knowledge.



These are details of the pages above, each sketch taking only one or two minutes. You've got to learn to be quick and not worry about mistakes- I just draw over the top of them. I use pen, I seem to be less tentative when I know it can't be erased!

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda T said...

I love your sketches. You really capture the gesture and the correct anatomy.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home